We represent a number of property management companies in actions to remove tenants for nonpayment of rent and breach of lease provisions. The laws and regulations that govern the rental of residential and commercial properties are complex. For property owners, failing to comply with these laws can be costly.
From drafting commercial leases or rental agreements to eviction proceedings, we have the experience to meet our clients’ needs. We provide knowledgeable advice to landlords on a wide variety of legal issues, including security deposits, evictions, advance rent payments, prompt rent payment and compliance with lease terms.
Tenant Rights and Responsibilities
- Right to reasonable notice by landlord before inspecting or showing the premises
- Right to a safe living environment which complies with the Massachusetts State Sanitary Code
- Right to withhold rent for landlord’s failure to make repairs or correct housing code violations
- Right to obtain rental housing without discrimination based on sex, age, gender, race, disability or other protected class
Landlord Rights and Responsibilities
- Duty to collect, escrow and return security deposits
- Right to make deductions from security deposits for damages to the rental unit
- Right to evict a tenant for nonpayment of rent or violation of a lease term
- Duty to limit collection of advance rent payments
- Right to expect prompt payment of rent and compliance with lease terms